Quick Update

by

On Friday the 22nd last week, we went to see a radiation oncologist to discuss the different types of radiation and find out whether a biopsy really is crucial. What we learned is that the dose of radiation for both low-grade and high-grade tumors does not differ really at all, which makes us want to go ahead with radiation without doing the biopsy. Still, every doctor (including this one) has recommended a biopsy. It provides a prognosis for the future so I know what I had (assuming they get rid of this thing - God willing) and it'll help me understand what my future holds. Although these are all good reasons to do the biopsy, my parents are still leaning towards going without the biopsy. Some big risks include bleeding and even death. The risk is low, but here's another thing: a biopsy will not necessarily tell us what the tumor is for sure. When the doctor takes out parts of the tumor, he may only get a low-grade part. They can't identify which parts of the tumor is what, so there may be a false answer in the end. Sometimes, biopsies don't show any information at all. So it makes you think, is it really worth all the risks?
Our brain tumor oncologist just an hour ago to find out whether we had made our decision on the biopsy or not. My parents are still unsure (again, leaning more towards no biopsy). Our radiation oncologist is going to discuss my case with other radiation oncologists doctors in another city, so we'll get another opinion about whether they think it is recommended to do a biopsy. We're hoping for a call this week, and after that, we'll hopefully have a decision made so that we can notify our tumor oncologist and go ahead with things as soon as possible.
Phew, I think I've covered everything for the most part.

I just want to mention something else. Yesterday two of my friends and I (their names rhyme with Larah and Pivy - I don't want them somehow finding this, hehe!) went out for dinner. It was a good dinner and they finally pulled up at my house to drop me off. So we were parked there and I was about to leave soon, but I chose to fill them in on all of my tumor news. I'm glad I did! This blog is the only place where I've really let out my feelings over the whole thing - I don't dare to do it in front of my family because I want them to think I can handle this, and that they should be strong. Anyways, I was telling them everything and burst out in tears and really let these emotions out that have been bundled up for so long. They were very supportive and I am truly blessed to have such great friends. What do you know? Talking about things really does make you feel better! I'm writing this down because I want to remember these two friends and how they really helped me that night.

That's all for now. I'll update whenever there is reason to.

Love,
gift of sorts